From Death To Life!
Pastor Jerry Ghirardo
April 12th, 2020
Verse of the Week
25 “Jesus said to her, ‘I am the resurrection and the life. He who believes in me will live, even though he dies; and whoever lives and believes in me will never die. Do you believe this?’”
~ John 11:25
1) The cross of Jesus, his agonizing death, speaks to us of his great SACRIFICE and great LOVE for us.
- Isaiah 53:5-6 – “But he was pierced for our transgressions, he was crushed for our iniquities; the punishment that brought us peace was upon him and by his wounds we are healed. We all, like sheep, have gone astray, each of us has turned to his own way; and the Lord has laid on him the iniquity of us all.”
- John 15:13 – “Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends.”
2) The focus of Good Friday is the death of Jesus; the focus of Easter is the celebration of Christ’s RESURRECTION.
- John 20:1-9 – Mary Magdalene and the disciples find that the tomb is empty.
- John 20:10-18 – Jesus appears to Mary Magdalene in person.
- 1 Corinthians 15:55-57 – “Where, O death, is your victory? Where, O death, is your sting? The sting of death is sin, and the power of sin is the law. But thanks be to God! He gives us the victory through the Lord Jesus Christ.”
3) Christ’s death and resurrection brings RECONCILIATION and HOPE.
- Ephesians 2:12-13 – “… At that time you were separate from Christ, excluded from citizenship in Israel and foreigners to the covenant of the promise, without hope and without God in the world. But now in Christ Jesus you who once were far away have been brought near through the blood of Christ.”
- Romans 6:4-5 – “We were therefore buried with him through baptism into death in order that, just as Christ was raised from the dead through the glory of the Father, we too may life a new life. If we have been united with him like this in his death, we will certainly also be united with him in his resurrection.”
4) Jesus is the RESURRECTION and the LIFE.
- John 11:25-27 – “Jesus said to her, ‘I am the resurrection and the life. He who believes in me will live, even though he dies; and whoever lives and believes in me will never die. Do you believe this?’ “Yes, Lord,’ she told him. I believe that you are the Christ, the Son of God, who was to come in to the world.”
Download the Sermon Notes here:
04.12.20 Sermon Outline.docx