Salt and Light!
Pastor Jerry Ghirardo
March 29th, 2020
Verse of the Week
16 “In the same way let your light shine before others so that they may see your good deeds and glorify your Father in heaven.”
~ Matthew 5:16
1) Jesus tells us that we are the SALT of the earth.
- Matthew 5:13 – “You are the salt of the earth. But if the salt loses its saltiness, how can it be made salty again? It is no longer good for anything, except to be thrown out and trampled underfoot.”
- Mark 9:50 – “Salt is good, but if it loses its saltiness, how can you make it salty again? Have salt among yourselves, and be at peace with one another.”
- Luke 14:34-35 – “Salt is good, but if it loses its saltiness, how can it be made salty again? It is fit neither for the soil nor for the manure pile, it is thrown out.”
- Old Testament References To Salt:
- Leviticus 2:13 – “…With all your offerings you shall offer salt…”
- Numbers 18:19 – “…It is an everlasting covenant of salt before the Lord for both you and your offspring.”
- Salt is essential to life, it gives flavor, it preserves, it heals, it purifies, and is a sign of friendship, fidelity, and loyalty.
2) Jesus tells us that we are the LIGHT of the world.”
- Matthew 5:14 – “You are the light of the world. A town built on a hill cannot be hidden.”
- Matthew 5:15 – “Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house.”
- Matthew 5:16 – “In the same way, let your light shine before others, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your Father in heaven.”
- Colossians 1:10-13 – “…So that you may live a life worthy of the Lord and please him in every way, bearing fruit in every good work, growing in the knowledge of God… and giving joyful thanks to the Father, who has qualified you to share in the inheritance of his holy people in the kingdom of light. For he has rescued us from the dominion of darkness and brought us into the kingdom of the Son he loves, in whom we have redemption, the forgiveness of sins.”
- Ephesians 5:8 – “For you were once darkness, but now you are light in the Lord. Live as children of light (for the fruit of the light consists in all goodness, righteousness, and truth.)
- Acts 13:47 – “… I have made you a light for the Gentiles, that you may bring salvation to the ends of the earth.”
Download the Sermon Notes here:
03.29.20 Sermon Outline.docx