Christ Centered – Not Self-Centered
Pastor Jerry Ghirardo
March 7th, 2021
I Corinthians 13:1-7, Matthew 6:33, Galatians 2:20, Romans 12:2
Verse of the Week
17 “Whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him.”
~ Colossians 3:17
1) In our flesh we operate in a very self-centered way!
- Romans 12:2 - "Do not be conformed to this world…"
- James 4:1-2 - "What caused fights and quarrels among you? Don't they come from your desires that battle within you? You desire but do not have, so you kill. You covet but cannot get what you want, so you quarrel and fight."
- I Peter 2:11 - "Dear friends, I urge you… to abstain from sinful desires, which wage war against your soul."
2) As we grow in Christ - our thoughts and behavior become more Christ centered and less focused on ourselves!
- Romans 12:2 - "…but be transformed by the renewing of your mind."
- Galatians 2:20 - "I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I now live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me."
- I Corinthians 11:1 - "Follow my example, as I follow the example of Christ. "
- Matthew 6:33 - "But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well."
3) Scripture provides excellent instruction on what a Christ-centered life looks like!
- I Corinthians 13:1-2 - "If I speak in the tongues of men or of angels, but do not have love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith than can move mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing."
- I Corinthians 13:3 - "If I give all I possess to the poor and give over my body to hardship that I may boast, but do not have love, I gain nothing."
- I Corinthians 13:4-5 - "Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs."
- I Corinthians 13:6-7 - "Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres."
- Colossians 3:17 - "And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him."
Download the 03-07-21 Sermon Notes Here:
03.07.21 Sermon Outline.docx
View the 03-07-21 Sermon Video Here: