Getting Through Tough Times Together!
Pastor Jerry Ghirardo
May 10th, 2020
1 John 4:7-12
Verse of the Week
10 “Therefore as we have opportunity let us do good to all people, especially to the family of believers.”
~ Galatians 6:10
1) Loving each other is the first key.
- Matthew 22:37-38 – “Love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul and with all your mind. And the second is like it: Love your neighbor as yourself.” These two commands are inextricably related. We can’t love God without loving our neighbor.
- I John 4:7-8 – “Let us love one another, for love comes from God. Everyone who loves has been born of God and knows God. Whoever does not know love does not know God, because God is love.”
- I John 4:11-12 – “Dear friends since God so loved us we also ought to love one another. No one has ever seen God, but if we love one another, God lives in us and his love is made complete in us.”
- Genesis 4:9 – “Then the Lord said to Cain, Where is your brother Abel? I don’t know, he replied. Am I my brother’s keeper?” – Are we going to respond like Cain or like Christ, - ie. after the flesh or the spirit? Are we going to be self-centered or Christ-centered?
2) To help each other, we need to have God’s heart.
- Do we really care about others?
- Galatians 6:2 – “Carry each others burdens, and in this way, you will fulfill the law of Christ.”
- I Thessalonians 5:11 – “Therefore encourage one another and build each other up, just as in fact you are doing.”
- Can we relate to their circumstances?
- 2 Corinthians 1:3-4 – “Praise to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of compassion, and the God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our troubles, so that we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves receive from God.” Paul writes about our ability to empathize with others based on our own experiences.
- Do we understand that we are supernaturally united with all other followers of Christ?
- I Corinthians 12:26 – “If one part suffers, every part suffers with it.”
- Romans 12:15 – “Rejoice with those who rejoice. Mourn with those who mourn.”
3) To help others, we need to have God’s perspective.
- Matthew 7:12 – “So in everything, do unto others what you would have them do unto you, for this sums up the Law and the Prophets.” Always apply the “golden rule.”
- Philippians 2:4 – “Let each of you look not only to his own interests, but also to the interests of others.”
- Proverbs 19:17 – Whoever is generous to the poor lends to the Lord, and he will repay him for his deed.”
- Matthew 25:45 – “…Truly I tell you, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me.”
4) To be most effective we need to work together.
- Ecclesiastes 4:9-10 – “Two are better than one… for if either of them falls, the one will lift up his companion.”
- 2 Corinthians 7:6-7 – “But God, who comforts the downcast, comforted us by the coming of Titus, and not only by his coming but also by the comfort you had given him. He told us about your longing for me, your deep sorrow, your ardent concern for me, so that my joy was greater than ever.”
- I Peter 4:10 – “Each of you should use whatever gift you have received to serve others, as faithful stewards of God’s grace in its various forms.”
5) To help or not to help? That is not the question.
- I John 3:16-17 – “This is how we know what love is: Jesus Christ laid down his life for us. And we ought to lay down our lives for our brothers and sisters. If anyone has material possessions and sees a brother or sister in need but has not pity on them, how can the love of God be in that person? Dear children, let us not love with words or speech but with actions and in truth.”
- James 2:14-17 – “Suppose a brother or sister is without clothes and daily food. If one of you says to him – Go, I wish you well, keep warm and well fed, but does nothing about his physical needs what good is it?”
- I Timothy 5:8 – “But if anyone does not provide for his relatives, and especially for members of his household, he has denied the faith and is worse than an unbeliever.”
- Galatians 6:10 – “Therefore as we have opportunity let us do good to all people, especially to the family of believers.”
Download the Sermon Notes here:
05.10.20 Sermon Outline.docx