Happy Palm Sunday!
Hosanna In The Highest!
Pastor Jerry Ghirardo
March 28th, 2021
Verse of the Week
9 “Hosanna to the Son of David. Blessed is he who comes in the name of the Lord!”
~ Matthew 21:9
1) Jesus’ TRIUMPHAL entry into Jerusalem is accompanied by throngs of people worshiping Him and shouting “Hosanna in the Highest!”
- This event is recorded in all 4 of the gospels: Matthew 21:1-14, Mark 11:1-11, Luke 19:28-44, and John 12:3-19.
- Matthew 21:8 – “A very large crowd spread their cloaks on the road, while others cut branches from the trees and spread them on the road. The crowds that went ahead of him and those that followed shouted… “Hosanna in the Highest!”
2) The time had come for Jesus to reveal his true IDENTITY. He came to present himself as the King of the Jews, as the Messiah!
- Matthew 21:3-4 – Jesus comes into Jerusalem riding on a donkey in fulfillment of scripture.
- Zechariah 9:9-10 – “Rejoice greatly, O Daughter of Zion! …See your king comes to you, righteous and having salvation, gentle and riding on a donkey, on a colt, the foal of a donkey… He will proclaim peace to the nations. His rule will extend from sea to sea and from the River (Euphrates) to the ends of the Earth.”
- Matthew 21:9 – “Hosanna to the Son of David!” This is a clear reference to the Messiah who would come from David’s lineage and sit on his throne forever.
3) Jesus came in PEACE 2000 years ago as the King of Kings to save the people and deliver them from their sin and he still comes in peace today!
- Matthew 21:9 – “Hosanna in the highest!”
- Hosanna literally means “Save us now!” The term Hosanna refers to the salvation and the deliverance of the Jewish people. It is a joyful expression coupled with huge expectation.
- Based on all the miracles they had witnessed including the resurrection of Lazarus and the profound teachings of Jesus for several years, the people hoped that he was the Anointed One, the one who could save them and bring them peace.
- Jesus is the one and only King of Kings and he is still inviting everyone to come and enjoy the eternal peace that only comes from embracing him for who he truly is – our Lord and Savior.
4) Jesus is COMING AGAIN but this time in TOTAL TRIUMPH!
- When Jesus returns he won't be riding on a donkey, he will come this time as the rider on the white horse.
- Revelation 19:11 – “Then I saw heaven opened, and behold, a white horse. The one sitting on it is called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he judges and makes war."
- Revelation 19:13 – He is clothed in a robe dipped in blood, and the name by which he is called is "The Word of God."
- Revelation 19:14 – "And the armies of heaven, arrayed in fine linen, white and pure, were following him on white horses."
- Revelation 19:15 – "From his mouth comes a sharp sword with which to strike down the nations, and he will rule them with a rod of iron. He will tread the winepress of the fury of the wrath of God the Almighty."
- Revelation 19:16 – "On his robe and on his thigh he has a name written, King of kings and Lord of lords."
Amen! Come Lord Jesus! Hosanna in the Highest!
Download the 03-28-21 Sermon Notes Here:
03.28.21 Sermon Outline.docx
View the 03-28-21 Sermon Video Here: