Spiritual Warfare - Deception
Pastor Jerry Ghirardo
January 24th, 2021
Verse of the Week
3 “But I am afraid that just as Eve was deceived by the serpent’s cunning, your minds may somehow be led astray from your sincere and pure devotion to Christ.”
~ 2 Corinthians 11:3
This preaching series on Spiritual Attacks will focus on the deadly D's: Deception, Discouragement, Division, and Disconnection!
1) Satan is a deceiver and the father of lies!
- John 8:44 - "You belong to your father, the devil, and you want to carry out your father's desires. He was a murderer from the beginning, not holding to the truth, for there is not truth in him. When he lies, he speaks his native tongue, for he is a liar and the father of lies."
- 2 Corinthians 11:14 - "And no wonder, for even Satan disguises himself as an angel of light. So it is no surprise if his servants, also, disguise themselves as servants of righteousness. Their end will correspond to their deeds."
- Revelation 12:9 - "And the great dragon was thrown down, that ancient serpent, who is called the devil and Satan, the deceiver of the whole world - he was thrown down to the earth, and his angels were thrown down with him."
2) God hates deceit!
- Psalm 101:7 - "No one who practices deceit will dwell in my house; no one who speaks falsely will stand in my presence."
- I Peter 2:1 - "Therefore, rid yourselves of all malice and all deceit, hypocrisy, envy, and slander of every kind."
- I Peter 2:22 - "(Christ) committed no sin, and no deceit was found in his mouth."
- 2 Corinthians 11:13 - "For such people are false apostles, deceitful workers, masquerading as apostles of Christ."
- Ephesians 5:6 - "Let not one deceive you with empty words, for because of such things God's wrath comes on those who are disobedient."
3) Satan's master plan is based first and foremost on deception!
- Genesis 3:1 - "Now the serpent was more crafty than any of the wild animals the Lord God had made. He said to the woman, 'Did God really say, 'You must not eat from any tree in the garden?'"
- Genesis 3:2-3 - "The woman said to the serpent, 'We may eat fruit from the trees in the garden, but God did say, 'You must not eat fruit from the tree that is in the middle of the garden, and you must not touch it, or you will die."
- Genesis 3:4-5 - "You will not certainly die,' the serpent said to the woman. 'For God knows that when you eat from it your eyes will be opened, and you will be like God, knowing good and evil.'"
- Genesis 3:6 – “When the woman saw that the fruit of the tree was good for food and pleasing to the eye, and also desirable for gaining wisdom, she took some and ate. She also gave some to her husband, who was with her, and he ate it. Then the eyes of both of them were opened, and they realized they were naked…"
- Genesis 3:13 - "Then the Lord God said to the woman, 'What is this you have done?'" The woman said, 'The serpent deceived me, and I ate.’"
4) No matter how mature we are in Christ, Satan still works hard to deceive us!
- 2 Corinthians 11:3-4 - "But I am afraid that just as Eve was deceived by the serpent's cunning, your minds may somehow be led astray from your sincere and pure devotion to Christ. For if someone comes to you and preaches a Jesus other than the Jesus we preached, or if you receive a different spirit from the Spirit you received, or a different gospel from the one you accepted, you put up with it easily enough."
- Jeremiah 14:14 - "Then the Lord said to me, 'The prophets are prophesying lies in my name. I have not sent them or appointed them or spoken to them. They are prophesying to you false visions, divinations, idolatries and the delusions of their minds.’"
- Jeremiah 23:16 - "This is what the LORD Almighty says. 'Do not listen to what the prophets are prophesying to you, they fill you with false hopes. They speak visions from their own minds, not from the mouth of the Lord."
- Matthew 24:24 - "For false messiahs and false prophets will appear and perform great signs and wonders to deceive, if possible, even the elect."
- 2 Timothy 4:3-4 - "For the time will come when people will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear. They will turn their ears away from the truth and turn aside to myths."
- Acts 20:28-30 - "I know that after I leave, savage wolves will come in among you and will not spare the flock. Even from your own number men will arise and distort the truth in order to draw away disciples after them."
- Colossians 2:8 - "See to it that no one takes you captive through hollow and deceptive philosophy, which depends on human tradition and the elemental spiritual forces of this world rather than on Christ."
Download the 01-24-21 Sermon Notes Here:
01.24.21 Sermon Outline.docx
View the 01-24-21 Sermon Video Here: