Spiritual Warfare - Discouragement
Pastor Jerry Ghirardo
January 31st, 2021
2 Corinthians 4:1-18
Verse of the Week
21 “See, the Lord your God has given you the land. Go up and take possession of it as the Lord, the God of your ancestors, told you. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged."
~ Deuteronomy 1:21
The second deadly "D" is Discouragement.
1. Satan uses the weapon of discouragement to attack everyone including followers of Christ!
- Psalm 42:11 - "Why, my soul, are you downcast? Why so disturbed within me? Put your hope in God, for I will yet praise him; my savior and my God."
- Psalm 34:17-19 - "When the righteous cry for help, the Lord hears and delivers them out of all their troubles. The Lord is near the brokenhearted and saves the crushed in spirit. Many are the afflictions of the righteous, but the Lord delivers him out of them all."
- Psalm 147:3 - "He heals the brokenhearted and binds up their wounds."
- Psalm 55:22 - "Cast your burden on the Lord, and he will sustain you; he will never permit the righteous to be moved."
- Isaiah 40:31 - "But they who wait for the Lord shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings like eagles; they shall run and not be weary; they shall walk and not grow faint."
2. Thanks to Christ, we have the strength and the wisdom to overcome discouragement!
- I Corinthians 10:13 - "No temptation has overtaken you except what is common to mankind. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out."
- Deuteronomy 1:21 - "See, the Lord your God has given you the land. Go up and take possession of it as the Lord, the God of your ancestors, told you. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged."
- Joshua 1:9 - "Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go."
- Philippians 4:19 - "And my God will supply every need of yours according to his riches in glory in Christ Jesus."
3. Paul not only explains how to overcome discouragement but provides an incredible testimony from his own life!
- 2 Corinthians 4:1-2 – “Therefore, since through God's mercy we have this ministry, we do not lose heart. Rather we have renounced secret and shameful ways, we do not use deception, nor do we distort the word of God. On the contrary, by setting forth the truth plainly we commend ourselves to everyone's conscience in the sight of God."
- 2 Corinthians 4:6 - "For God, who said, 'Let light shine out of darkness, made his light shine in our hearts to give us the light of the knowledge of God's glory displayed in the face of Christ.’"
- 2 Corinthians 4:7-9 - "But we have this treasure in jars of clay to show that this all-surpassing power is from God and not from us. We are hard pressed on every side, but not crushed, perplexed, but not in despair; persecuted, but not abandoned, struck down, but not destroyed."
- 2 Corinthians 4:10-12 - "We always carry around in our body the death of Jesus, so that the life of Jesus may also be revealed in our body. For we who are alive are always being given over to death for Jesus' sake; so that his life may also be revealed in our mortal body. So then death is at work in us, but life is at work in you."
- 2 Corinthians 4:16-18 - "Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen, since what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal."
Download the 01-31-21 Sermon Notes Here:
01.31.21 Sermon Outline.docx
View the 01-31-21 Sermon Video Here: