The Third Deadly “D” - Division
Pastor Jerry Ghirardo
February 7th, 2021
I Corinthians 1:10-13
Verse of the Week
25 “If a house is divided against itself, that house cannot stand.”
~ Mark 3:25
1) Satan uses lies and deceit to cause division!
- Mark 3:24-25 - "If a kingdom is divided against itself, that kingdom cannot stand. If a house is divided against itself, that house cannot stand."
- I Corinthians 3:3-4 - "You are still worldly. For since there is jealousy and quarreling among you, are you not worldly? … For when one says, 'I follow Paul,' and another, 'I follow Apollos,' are you not mere human beings?"
- Proverbs 6:16-19 - "There are six things the Lord hates, seven that are detestable to him: haughty eyes, a lying tongue, hands that shed innocent blood, a heart that devises wicked schemes, feet that are quick to rush into evil, a false witness who pours out lies, and a person who stirs up conflict in the community."
2) God instructs us to avoid those who cause division!
- Romans 16:17-18 - "I urge you, brothers and sisters, to watch out for those who cause divisions and put obstacles in your way that are contrary to the teaching you have learned. Keep away from them. For such people are not serving our Lord Christ, but their own appetites."
- Jude 1:17-19 - "But, dear friends, remember what the apostles of our Lord Jesus Christ foretold. They said to you, 'In the last times there will be scoffers who will follow their own ungodly desires. These are the people who divide you, who follow mere natural instincts and do not have the Spirit."
- Titus 3:10-11 - "Warn a divisive person once, and then warn them a second time. After that, have nothing to do with them. You may be sure that such people are warped and sinful, they are self-condemned."
3) The truth brings unity in the body of Christ!
- John 17:20-23 - "My prayer is not for them alone. I pray also for those who will believe in me through their message, that all of them may be one, Father, just as you are in me and I am in you. May they also be in us so that the world may believe that you have sent me. I have given them the glory that you gave me, that they may be one as we are one - I in them and you in me - so that they may be brought to complete unity. Then the world will know that you sent me and have loved them even as you have loved me."
- I Corinthians 1:10-13 - "I appeal to you, brothers and sisters, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that all of you agree with one another in what you say and that there be no divisions among you, but that you be perfectly united in mind and thought… Some from Chloe's household have informed me that there are quarrels among you. What I mean is this, One of you says, 'I follow Paul,' another 'I follow Apollos,' another 'I follow Cephas,' still another 'I follow Christ.' Is Christ divided?"
- Philippians 2:2-4 - "Then make my joy complete by being like-minded, having the same love, being one in spirit and of one mind. Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit. Rather, in humility value others above yourselves, not looking to your own interests but each of you to the interests of the others."
4) God wants us to do everything to promote unity!
- Ephesians 4:3-6 - "Make every effort to keep the unity of the Spirit through the bond of peace. There is one body and one Spirit, just as you were called to one hope when you were called, one Lord, one faith, one baptism, one God and Father of all, who is over all and through all and in all."
- Acts 4:32-34 - "All the believers were one in heart and mind. No one claimed that any of their possessions was their own, but they shared everything they had."
- I Corinthians 12:24-26 - "But God has put the body together, giving greater honor to the parts that lacked it, so that there should be no division in the body, but that its parts should have equal concern for each other. If one part suffers, every part suffers with it, if one part is honored, every part rejoices."
- Psalm 133:1 - "How good and pleasant it is when God's people live together in unity!"
Download the 02-07-21 Sermon Notes Here:
02.07.21 Sermon Outline.docx
View the 02-07-21 Sermon Video Here: