Unity In The Spirit!
Pastor Jerry Ghirardo
August 9th, 2020
Verse of the Week
19 “Let us therefore make every effort to do what leads to peace and mutual edification.”
~ Romans 14:19
1) United we stand and divided we fall!
- Mark 3:25 – “If a house is divided against itself, that house cannot stand.”
- I Corinthians 1:10 – “I appeal to you, brothers and sisters, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that all of you agree with one another in what you say and that there be no divisions among you, but that you be perfectly united in mind and thought.”
- Galatians 3:28 – “There is neither Jew nor Gentile, neither slave nor free, nor is there male and female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus.”
- Ephesians 2:14-16 – “For he himself is our peace, who has made the two groups one, and has destroyed the barrier, the dividing wall of hostility, but setting aside in his flesh the law with its commands and regulations. His purpose was to create in himself one new humanity out of the two, thus making peace, and in one body to reconcile both of them to God through the cross, by which he put to death their hostility.”
2) Being united in Spirit doesn’t mean watering down our faith or our doctrine!
- 2 Corinthians 10:5 – “We demolish arguments and every pretension that sets itself up against the knowledge of God, and we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ.”
- Jude 1:3 – “…I felt compelled to write and urge you to contend for the faith that was once for all entrusted to God’s holy people.”
- 2 Timothy 4:3 – “For the time will come when people will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear.”
3) Unity in the Spirit is a strong testimony for the gospel of Jesus Christ!
- John 17: 20 -21 – “My prayer is not for them alone. I pray also for those who will believe in me through their message, that all of them may be one, Father, just as you are in me and I am in you. May they also be in us so that the world may believe that you have sent me.”
- Acts 4:32 – “All the believers were one in heart and mind.”
- Philippians 2:2 – “… then make my joy complete by being like-minded, having the same love, being one in spirit and of one mind.”
- Romans 14:19 – “Make every effort to do what leads to peace and mutual edification.”
4) Unity in the Spirit is a strong testimony for the gospel of Jesus Christ – continued!
- Ephesians 4:1-4 – “As a prisoner for the Lord, then, I urge you to live a life worthy of the calling you have received. Be completely humble and gentle, be patient, bearing with one another in love. Make every effort to keep the unity of the Spirit through the bond of peace. There is one body and one Spirit, just as you were called to one hope when you were called.”
- I Peter 3:8-9 – “Finally, all of you, be like-minded, be sympathetic, love one another, be compassionate and humble. Do not repay evil with evil or insult with insult. On the contrary, repay evil with blessing, because to this you were called so that you may inherit a blessing.”
Download the 08-09-20 Sermon Notes Here:
08.09.20 Sermon Outline.docx